Monday 25 April 2016

Water Baby

I took Daithí swimming for the first time today. It's amazing how babies have no fear of water. This was the main reason I wanted to take both my boys at a young age. To get them interested in, and hopefully to love swimming. My parents brought me swimming as a baby, and I did lessons right the way through school, as a result I was always a strong swimmer and even did IWS lifesaving courses as a teenager. It is so so important that children are confident and know how to stay safe around water, and they're never too young to learn.

So knowing all this I had wanted to take him sooner, but I kept making excuses, putting it off and have been dreading it. One reason being I wasn't sure how I'd manage both of them by myself, but mainly because I didn't feel confident enough to get into a swim suit in public. I knew I was being silly, and selfish, it's for Daithí's benefit, not mine. So when my Dad who was visiting for the weekend mentioned he could come with us and take care of Fionn while I minded Daithí, I knew I had to just go for it, but not before I had a bit of a chat with myself.

Chances are I'll wobble for the rest of my life, and chances are I'll go longer between waxes than I did before children, and I'll be blindingly white, and my hair may not have been washed in a week, but to be fair, who'll be looking, let alone judging at a 9.30am parent & baby swim? Other mothers who probably are having the exact same insecurities as me? Doubtful! I'd just have to get over myself.

There is always the one mother who has her hair done and a full face of make up on, a cute bikini and not a stretch mark in sight, but thankfully there's also an awful lot more women who look as tired and unkempt as myself. Also, the handful of nervous looking Dad's, slightly on edge because they've ventured into the predominantly female environment. You can often see them looking to the kids for guidance on what Mammy normally does. So far from judging how each-other looks, we coo over the newest babies and share knowing eye rolls at each toddlers excuses for not getting out yet.

But for some reason, I still felt I'd be judged. so after getting myself and Daithí dressed I found Dad and Fionn and guided them towards the pool. In true Fionn fashion he ran and jumped and splashed around, he loves the water, 'at least it's paying off' I thought to myself and walked in with Daithí in my arms. Once I hit the water and lowered Daithí in, I completely forgot that I was self conscious. I was doing something important for my son and that trumped any complex I was building up in my head. He seemed to like it, as much as you can tell of a 5 week old, he didn't even cry when I dunked him, and was very chilled out floating on his back. He seemed comfortable kicking his legs out behind him with his head on my chest so we spent about 30mins just floating about. 

A quick dry, get dressed, and feed in the cafe afterwards and he passed right out, I remembered then another reason I always brought Fionn swimming; the naps. The glorious, 2-3 hour post swim naps. They make it all worth while.

The obligatory first swim selfie.
There are so many options for swimming lessons available from as young as 4 months, but they can be costly, if this works for you great, but I feel that just getting into the pool with babies and children is beneficial. You don't even have to be a strong swimmer yourself, just get them into the water before they learn to be afraid of it, and you're setting them on the right track.


No comments:

Post a Comment