Friday 6 May 2016

The Six Week Slump

I think it's safe to say most of us fall through the first few weeks with a new born in a bit of a happy, hazy, blur. I know for me, I was getting energy from some secret store I haven't been able to tap into before or since. And of course, I ignored every nag of 'take it easy', 'you need to rest more' that pretty much every one threw my way. 

My reasoning being that if I didn't get out of the house and run Fionn around a park at least every second day he'd be an unimaginable nightmare. I was actually quite proud of myself, I did a lot more in the first few weeks of Daithí being alive than I ever dreamed of when Fionn was a new born. A lot of that is definitely down to the confidence that comes with a second baby, but there is also the catch 22 of having a toddler as well. Go out and tire him out and you tire yourself out just as much in the process, or stay in and stay well rested, but have a ball of energy in the form of a two year old bouncing off the walls fighting you every step of the way to bed time. 

So for me it was a no brainier, I had to get out. Go for a walk, go to town, go to the park, go to the library when it was too cold, just get out of the house. I felt great for it. Positive, and up beat, but that adrenaline, or whatever it was seems to have worn off, because this week I have hit a wall. I am more tired than I remember being first time round, and I'm starting to beat myself up for falling asleep on the couch in the mornings and not having the energy to think straight. I've still forced myself to do things, but looking noticeably more disheveled than I had done 2/3 weeks ago. And also having more and more Baby Brain moments. 

With Shane being on nights, I've made an effort to get out of the house every day so he can sleep. It didn't exactly go according to plan. I made a bump start to the week on Monday after loading up the car with two boys, the buggy and remembering shopping bags and items and receipts I needed to return, I made it into town, queed for a parking space, unpacked everyone and everything only to realise I forgot my purse *face palm* everyone back into the car,  drive home, get purse, back into town, walk to bank, it was a damn bank holiday. Fuck. I was actually ready to give up then and there when Fionn pointed at a cafe and said 'Nom Noms please Mamam'. Can't argue with him when he asked so politely. He ate his kids box and allowed me to have a coffee in peace.

Twice, I had to put Daithí in Fionn's nappies on Wednesday after forgetting to pack the changing bag, it was up to his armpits, he was fine, but Fionn wasn't too happy about it. It meant the waiting room in the dentist's surgery was great craic. One sleeping baby, and one screaming toddler. I was meant to have x-rays, but I think the dentist decided everyone had had enough and said she'd do them the next time. Honestly, I don't blame her. 


Then it got sunny! Everything is so much easier when it's sunny. or so I thought, Fionn, screamed the house down for 20 minutes because I had the nerve to get him dressed. I managed to get him into the car and he fell asleep. Two sleeping children while I had lunch with a friend. Bliss. Then 2 hours playing and a picnic in the park. The little angelic face on him in this picture does not accurately represent the little shit who was throwing sand and screaming in the playground. 

Last night, after voting, we went on an hour long family walk which lead to a slightly later bedtime, surely that would mean I'd get an extra bit of sleep in the morning. Nope. Not a chance. 5am wake up call, after just getting Daithí back asleep after a 4am feed. 


Amid all this, I made Rocky-Roads for Shane to bring to work for his birthday, had Daithí's 6 week health visitor check up and wrote the quiz for my GAA teams fundraiser that's on tonight. I can't even go to it because I can't leave Daithí for that long.

Fuck my Actual Life today.  

Sorry there's no positive spin on this, I really just needed a rant. 

1 comment: