Wednesday 31 August 2016

My body wakes at 6am, my mind not so much.

I've just come to the end of what would have been* month 6 of maternity leave on baby number 2, and it has got me thinking of all the things I might have managed to do, if I had maternity leave without the children.

*I was made redundant the week Daithí was born...wankers.


He's a happy little man at 6am that's for sure



First off, it wouldn't have taken me 3 days to find the time to write this. When one naps, the other wakes them up. One needs a new nappy, the other throws up on themselves. One watches TV, the other wants to be held. One eats anything and everything that's put in front of them, the other... well actually they'll both eat what ever is put in front of them, not necessarily a good thing when Fionn wants to share his play dough with Daithí, but he'll soon learn.

There's every cup of coffee I've made for myself in the last three years that wasn't drank hot. Or at all. Or downed in one, JagerBomb style, once I found it again. It may be cold, but the caffeine still works. 

There's both baby books. started with all the best intentions in the world, beautiful scrapbook paper, stickers, colored pens, ribbon. Dumped in an Ikea cube for some future version of myself who has the time. 

There's every DIY job I've started, that is yet to be finished; the head board for the bedroom, the hat-to-fascinator project, (that one will have to wait for next years weddings for an outing), the baby leggings I started for Fionn that I'm pretty sure Daithí has already out-grown, painting the fence in the back garden, cushions for the sofa, bed clothes and matching curtains for the kids' rooms, knitting projects, I could go on and on. 

I'm just about keeping on top of essential paperwork. So far this week I've renewed the home insurance with a month to go, car insurance with a week to go, and car tax on the last day. Its a far cry from this time last year when my MOT went 6 months out of date...ops!

There is more to
come with this story!!
I feel like I'm getting better at prioritising, but am losing all sense of creativity. My to do list is getting longer, and things are being crossed off less and less frequently. I'm even starting to neglect this blog. I'm currently trying to map out two pieces about or recent trip home, and a lovely encounter I had with a make-up artist while there. I'd say watch this space, but It might be a while!!

I think I need to give myself a right kick up the arse and start giving myself some time for me. Time that doesn't include house work, applying for jobs, feeding babies or sleeping. If anyone knows where I might be able to find that please let me know.

This is where I spent two hours today,
At least there's time for the important things.


No comments:

Post a Comment