Monday 19 September 2016

Fionn Starting Nursery

There has been ALOT going on these last few weeks. I just cant seem to catch up with my own train of thought. Everyone has been asking why Fionn wasn't in nursery yet, and the only reason was expense. As a family who work and pay taxes, we're not entitled to the 15 hours a week of free childcare that those who don't work are. It's unfair, and frustrating, and typical of a society that bleed the worker dry and give no incentive to work to the unemployed. But less on that topic.

I kinda decided he was going without thinking too much about it. I went down to the Nursery at 5.15pm (They closed at 5.30) on a Thursday, got the registration pack, and dropped it back in Friday morning, due to start the following Tuesday. It's very unlike me to be so unorganized, and to do such little research, but my friends sends her little one there, and they're OFSTED approved, so I figured they must be alright.

He was due to have two trial sessions, then start properly.  Perfect I thought, but just as I got a taste of freedom, as if perfectly timed to make me appreciate the time away from him even more he got horribly sick on Saturday. Five full days and nights of diarrhoea. Talk about a shit week. Literally.

It started when we stayed over in Uncle Niall's house (Not blaming him!) I got for the first time, the feeling I'm sure my parents have had a number of times over the years. Where you're all set for a great day out, in this case it was watching the All Ireland Hurling Final in St. Pat's with our friends, and then one of the kids get sick and you have to cancel all plans and go home.

Over the course of the week Myself and Daithí got a touch of it too, but somehow Shane managed to avoid it. Come to think of it, he managed to avoid changing a shitty nappy or stripping a shitty bed all week too. Jammy fucker.

So we pushed his start date back a week. The nursery were great, completely understanding. And so he started. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did take the obligatory 1st day photo.


He was very excited. mostly about the slide in reception he'd get to go on. He hasn't told me anything else, other than he went on the slide and played with trains. But I'm sure when I take a look at his Learning Journal next week he'll have done loads.


Ok, so I took day 2
And day 3 pictures too

What I'm finding strange now is everyone asking me how I'm feeling about sending him. Maybe I am just a selfish mother, but I'm not worried about him at all. A little concerned that he's going to be a little shit and bully other kids, but all I can think about is how much easier the hours he's there are going to be for me. Granted the 8.30am starts are going to be early, but I'll have three blissful days a week where I can feed Daithí in peace. Blog. Make frames. Drink hot coffee. Nap. All these wonderful things I never seemed to have time for when Fionn was Daithí's age, but now that I deal with two every day, I've realised just how easy one actually is.



So far every day has been great. His key worker has commented on how polite and affectionate he is. She's told me he's chased the girls around trying to tickle them. (Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing). And he's only had a few instances of being mean to other kids, but he's apologized and got on with it. My sister's girlfriend who manages a nursery says it's good he's been bold so early on as it shows he's comfortable and confident in the room. And that all kids need a telling off at some point.

SO maybe he's not such a little shit after all!!








No comments:

Post a Comment