Tuesday 27 September 2016

SAHM

I really need to stop referring to myself as 'just' a Stay at home Mother. I mean, yes, I am a stay at home mother, but there is no need for the 'just'.

I met some new people over the weekend, and when asked what I do, I kinda rambled on about being on maternity leave, but was now redundant, so I was 'just' a say at home mother. I cringed as I said it, but it was said. I was almost apologizing for it, making excuses nearly, and I realized the next day, in the mist of general hung over fear, that I was selling myself short.

I feel like I'm shaming myself, and in turn shaming others, who are, and rightly so, proud of their SAHM status. I don't know if it's my embarrassment of not having a degree, and so only having worked retail (again selling my self short, I built a very good career over the last 10 years in retail). Or if it's how the question it's self is phrased 'What do you do?'

I do a lot actually. But I don't have an impressive salary anymore and my current job title is Mother. Or Mamam, depending on who you ask.

Just a stay at home Mother. Fuck, I'd love to just stay at home. Even for a day, but with a toddler with more energy than a can of Red-Bull I need to go out. To the park, the library, anywhere to run the legs off him and mentally tire him out.

Also, with all our family in Ireland, if I leave the house for anything, doctor, dentist, shopping etc. I come with two attachments. and one of them is generally stuck to my boob.

So I'm done with being ashamed or embarrassed by it.

I think it's time to shout it out.

I am a chef, teacher, cleanersecretarychauffeur, nurse, lullaby singer, potty trainer, sore knee kisser, laundry fairy, grocery shopper, MOTHER!





No comments:

Post a Comment